The question regarding “meaningful” or “human friendly” URIs comes up a lot if you’re trying to design a Website or Web-accessible information architecture (including a Web service). This subject came up again recently on the SOA mailing list (I didn’t see the beginning of the thread, but this is where I started paying attention).
- …make URIs mnemonic when it’s convenient
- …depend on finding metadata in URIs
- …depend on search engine heuristics regarding query parameters
- …depend on file extensions
- …depend on URIs for user interface
Basically, don’t peek inside the URI. Read the rest of this entry »